[Openstack-operators] Do you recommend large subnets in provider network?

sylecn sylecn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 07:37:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm building a private cloud using flat provider network. For the private
network, I'm facing a choice between using a big subnet and multiple small
subnets. I am seeking for advice.

I have a 10.21.176.0/22 network, which contains about 1024 IPs. If I
declare this as a big subnet, will I get performance problems for broadcast
packets, DHCP assignment, bad ping latency and the like?

What is your subnet size? Is there a practical maximum subnet size?

--

*YY Inc. is hiring openstack and python developers. Interested? Check
http://www.nsbeta.info/jobs <http://www.nsbeta.info/jobs>*

Yuanle