[Openstack-operators] [Upgrades] Interoperability Matrix

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Apr 17 18:27:28 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Fuente, Pablo A's message of 2014-04-16 14:00:47 -0700:
> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to open a discussion related to OpenStack upgrades ( I mean
> moving from one version to another, for example Havana to Icehouse).
>
> As you probably know, this is a big issue, since there is no silver
> bullet to do it. For that reason, I am thinking  in an option to provide
> more input prior to do an upgrade.
>
> The idea is to generate an interoperability matrix, where devops can see
> if an specific commit works with all the available OpenStack versions,
> distinguishing among the different components. For example, you could
> see if  the Nova X commit is or not backward compatible with the
> Grizzly/Havana/Icehouse versions of Keystone/Neutron/Cinder/...
>
> Do you think this matrix would be useful in the upgrade tasks?

The gate currently has "grenade", which attempts to upgrade a working
stable release to the each commit. If this does not pass, it does not
merge.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Grenade

So this interoperability matrix is actually already maintained, as _every_
commit should be able to upgrade from the previous stable release.

Failures when attempting to do so are bugs in two things: the thing that
breaks on upgrade, and grenade.