[Openstack-operators] OpenvSwitch Latency issues

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 13:29:57 UTC 2013

Multithreading is not an issue.

Main feature in ovs 1.11 which make it 'wild internet ready' is 'megaflow'.

Problem is that in old mode kernel module send every new flow header to
inspection to userspace daemon. And daemon send rule to kernel
(ovs-dpctl dump-flows). Prior 1.11 that rule (internal rule, not
'openflow') could not contain masks. So in --flood mode it simply cause
every new packet going to slow path overloading daemon.

In OVS 1.11 now internal rules can contain masks (megaflow it is) and
now different port numbers, source/dest IPs is no longer an issue.