[Openstack-operators] problem with neutron vlan network_type net-create on Havana

Ronald van der Pol Ronald.vanderPol at rvdp.org
Sat Nov 2 13:01:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 21:23:17 +0900, Akihiro Motoki wrote:

> Hi Ronald,
>
> It seems the configurations related to provider network are not loaded as
> expected.
> Could you check network_vlan_ranges and related settings belong to
> [ovs] section in your ovs_neutron_plugin.ini?
>
> If the debug level of neutron-server is DEBUG, you can check your
> configurations.
> You should have "OVS.network_vlan_ranges" in the log file.

Hi Akihiro,

Bingo! Thank you very much. That was the problem. In my ovs_neutron_plugin.ini
config file I had [ovs] at the top and I uncommented and edited some
stuff in the section:

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Sample Configurations.
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# 1. With VLANs on eth1.

I did not uncomment:
# [OVS]

I fixed this and I can now create the network:

# neutron net-create net300 --provider:network_type vlan --provider:physical_network physnet1 --provider:segmentation_id 300
Created a new network:
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Field                     | Value                                |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| admin_state_up            | True                                 |
| id                        | 5d7274c2-f4a3-4ba7-9925-7bdee430b361 |
| name                      | net300                               |
| provider:network_type     | vlan                                 |
| provider:physical_network | physnet1                             |
| provider:segmentation_id  | 300                                  |
| shared                    | False                                |
| status                    | ACTIVE                               |
| subnets                   |                                      |
| tenant_id                 | 433d54bc0366470c9f631b4f4cf56ef2     |