[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators] Neutron HA

Roman Podolyaka rpodolyaka at mirantis.com
Fri Jul 19 09:59:24 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Indeed, Neutron doesn't provide an HA solution out-of-box. I would say
that, agents scheduling described in [1] is just the first step on a way to
HA.

Nevertheless, there are a few ways of providing HA for different parts of
Neutron requiring some additional efforts:

1. DHCP-agent. Neutron networks can be scheduled to a few DHCP-agents
running on different nodes, and thus providing HA for DHCP in Active/Active
mode.

2. L3-agent. Neutron routers can be scheduled to a few L3-agents, but only
one of them can be active at the time. Should an L3-agent hosting a router
fail, it's up to you to reschedule the router. Though, an Active/Active HA
solution was proposed recently [2].

3. L2-agent. An agent of this type is run on every node of a cluster. I'm
not sure you can run a multiple instances of it on one node (as it performs
configuration of network interfaces/etc, so this would eventually lead to
race-conditions). So this is similar to a failure of nova-compute daemon or
a physical node.

Thanks,
Roman

[1]