[Openstack-operators] Getting Nova to return floating ip's as "public"

Nick Downs nickryand at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 19:40:00 UTC 2012

Kieron,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Kieron B <kieronb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> Can you provide some examples of the tools you are using?

I have seen knife-openstack and nova ssh affected. The nova issue has
been reported in a bug report here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/955792

> Kieron
>
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Nick Downs <nickryand at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am having an issue with getting the public IP's to be typed correctly
>> inside of nova. My nova configuration seems to be pretty basic:
>>
>> network_manager=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager
>> public_interface=eth0
>> flat_interface=eth1
>> fixed_range=192.168.100.0/24
>> flat_network_dhcp_start=192.168.100.2
>> flat_network_bridge=br100
>> force_dhcp_release=True
>> flat_injected=False
>> send_arp_for_ha=True
>> libvirt_use_virtio_for_bridges=true
>>
>> Floating IP's are 10.10.0.128/25
>>
>> The issue I am running into is the floating IP's are returned by the
>> nova API as private. This breaks a couple of tools I am using because
>> those tools are looking for addresses listed as "public".
>>
>> How can I change my configuration to return the public IP's as type
>> "public"?

I have figured out how that Ip addresses are labeled based on the
label given to the specific network it comes from. In my case, I only
defined one network, labled "private". My VM's are issued a single
ip on the "private" network and a floating IP (I have
auto_assign_floating_ip set to true).

I tested adding another network named "public" and sure enough each VM
is given an IP on each network. The tools reflect this and try to use
the ip labeled as "public".

My issue now is trying to figure out how to get the bridging setup
correctly so my VM's can actually use the new "public" ip. However
that is out of the scope of this email thread.

I think if the following two behavior's were changed, the tools can be
updated to work with the type of network topology I had setup.

1. A server can go into the ACTIVE state prior to a floating IP address
   being assigned with auto_assign_floating_ip. I need to test this more
   to confirm the behavior.

2. Floating IP's that are auto_assigned to a host should be classified
   in a way that allows the end user to parse them out correctly. Right
   now auto_assigned floating IP's are not returned by the
   os-floating-ips api.

I will be reporting these behaviors to the appropriate list once I do a bit
more testing.

nickd