[Openstack-operators] VM with a public IP

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 03:11:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Paul Walton <paul.d.walton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can certainly see the advantage to the current approach when you own the
> network, but there are so many cases where you simply can't modify the
> existing infrastructure.  In my case, there is simply no reason for me to
> manage the network.  Up until now, all I have needed was for my VM to make a
> DHCP request, and get a public IP.  However, I really like the idea of
> OpenStack, and my boss is convinced that we need to be using it.  So, unless
> OpenStack has the ability to do this, then I'm left with having my boss
> petition the network admins to give us a subnet to use.  Which may take a
> fair amount of time.
>
> I don't like the idea of hacking a solution together, so I guess the real
> question is, can OpenStack currently do this or not?

I think that the answer is no, OpenStack can't make use of externally
controlled (via DHCP) addresses. There isn't a way that I can think of
that you can make the APIs function properly in that mode.

That said, you don't need a complete network allocation in order to
use it either. As long as you have a set of statically assigned
addresses, you can configure OpenStack to use them. Even if the
network admins will only give you a few addresses, that will work
properly. The major issue is the fact that dhcp can change your
address while an instance has an address allocated to it, so if that
can't happen, you should be ok.
 -nld