[Openstack-operators] Live-migration with nova

Ken Pepple ken.pepple at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 03:13:48 UTC 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 12:08 PM, Công Nguyễn wrote:
> So that in oder to do live-migration, in addition to glance/swift setup, I must setup another shared drive ? Seem to be compilcated because I wanna to manage and store all image in glance/swift.
> And btw, with glance/swift, when a VM running it run the VM image directly in glance/swift, or it fetch the VM image from swift to its local driver

Swift isn't a file server (i.e. you can't mount it natively as a filesystem without special software).

As such, you'll need a filesystem where you can store the instance data. You can read the docs at http://docs.openstack.org/cactus/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-live-migrations.html

And yes, your compute host fetches the VM image from glance/swift and stores it (either local drives or a shared drive like a NFS server).

/k

---
Ken Pepple
ken.pepple at gmail.com