[OpenStack-Infra] Selecting New Priority Effort(s)

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Apr 10 23:34:26 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018, at 7:33 PM, David Moreau Simard wrote:
> It won't be very exciting but we really need to do one of the
> following two things soon:
>
> 1) Ansiblify control plane [1]
> 2) Update our puppet things to puppet 4 (or 5?)
>
> Puppet 3 has been end of life since Dec 31, 2016. [2]
>
> The longer we draw this out, the more work it'll be :(
>
> [1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469983/
> [2]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/puppet-users/IdutL5FTW7w

This is an excellent point, thank you for bringing this up. I think I've largely decided that the modernization of our control plane deployment should be our next priority effort. During the infra meeting there didn't seem to be any disagreement on that front. Now would be a good time to raise concerns if there are more pressing items we should be addressing, but I think I'm personally operating under the assumption this is it unless others speak up. Because David is right, this will only get worse as time goes on and we need to address it.

The process I've proposed for actually making progress on this front is to update the existing specs for ansibilifying the control plane and performing a puppet upgrade, and Monty has volunteered to write a new spec to cover how we might containerize the control plane. Paul has volunteered to update the ansible spec and we need a volunteer to update the puppet spec (and maybe if we don't get a volunteer for that that itself is important information?).

This way we can consider the options available to us side by side before making a major decision like this. Hopefully we can get that done by next week and we can start to do some serious review of the options here.

Thank you,
Clark