[OpenStack-Infra] Queens PTG planning (September 11-15, Denver)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jul 25 00:18:59 UTC 2017

As those of you who attended any of our recent IRC meetings (or at
least read the minutes afterward) likely already know, the Infra
team is planning for the upcoming Queens cycle Project Teams
Gathering. The event is being held in Denver, Colorado, USA this
September 11th through 15th, and we've got a room for the full five
days (medium-size "helproom" shared with the QA team the first two
days, medium-size team room by ourselves the remaining three...
might be in the same room all week but not certain of that). In an
effort to help us determine what we should be hacking on and/or
figuring out while we have the opportunity to get together in
meatspace, we're brainstorming topics into a pad here:

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/infra-ptg-queens

The rough format this time is that "horizontal" teams, those like
the Infrastructure team which provide services to other official
teams or the OpenStack community at large (Documentation, I18n,
Quality Assurance, Release Management, Requirements, Security,
Stable Branch Maintenance), are encouraged to support "inter-project
team work" in their "helprooms" on Monday and Tuesday so we should
plan to have some people available to answer questions, help other
teams solve problems requiring our expertise or perform general
outreach on relevant topics (we can rotate/trade off shifts if we
want too, so people can have breaks or get involved in other rooms).
Then on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday we have time for heads-down
hacking either as one big group or splitting up into subteams,
whatever we think will work best. There are also some communal rooms
available throughout the week which can be scheduled as-needed for
shorter cross-project activities and presentations, so be thinking
about that as a possibility if you have ideas which fit that model.

If you're interested in attending, registration is still open and
you can find the registration form along with other details about
the event at:

    https://www.openstack.org/ptg/

Registration cost is fairly reasonable (US$100 for the week) to help
the OpenStack Foundation cover some of the venue and
lunch/refreshment expense. Attendees are encouraged to book rooms in
the official event hotel (negotiated rate is US$149/night) so they
won't have far to go (the event is in the same building!) and can
collaborate more easily after hours if they want. If you'd like to
come but are unsure you'll be able to get an employer to cover your
costs, please consider applying to take advantage of the travel
support program (deadline to apply for travel support is August 6 so
don't procrastinate). I will gladly vouch for travel support
requests from anyone who is a regular contributor to the team. For
more information and a link to the form, see the travel tab on the
above page. Also if you need a VISA and/or invitation letter to
enter the USA, details are available on that same tab but you should
get to work on it _now_ as we're already well within the 60-day
window where entry VISA requests may not get reviewed in time.

Thanks for reading! I hope to see lots of people at the PTG. I'll
even bring stickers. ;)