[OpenStack-Infra] [opensatck-infra][nodepool] HTTP 405 when deleting nodes (computers in jenkins terms).

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 15:10:40 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 06:10:18PM -0500, Bob Hansen wrote:

> I'm using these versions:
> nodepool 0.3.0 (yes a bit old, looks like 0.4.1 is current, but the code in
> this area seems to be the same).
> python-jenkins 0.4.13
> zuul 2.1.1
> jenkins 1.651.2
> ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
> diskimage-builder 1.26.1
>
> Images create ok, nodes are created in jenkins with my images and jobs are
> dispatched to the jenkins slaves the node pool creates. All is well.
>
> However, when nodepool tries to delete a slave in jenkins, I get this
> exception:
>
> 2017-02-06 14:10:01,096 ERROR nodepool.NodeDeleter: Exception deleting node
> 1362:
> ..... skipped stack trace ...
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 531, in http_error_default
>     raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
> HTTPError: HTTP Error 405: Method Not Allowed
>
> Digging through the code, it appears that nodepool via python-jenkins is
> really just doing this, which returns the 405.
>
> https://zvm-dev-jenkins.pokprv.stglabs.ibm.com/computer/test-master-zvm-dev-controller-1377/doDelete
>
> If a do a similar thing from the jenkins dashboard, just plunking in  that
> url in a browser after I'm authenticated to jenkins. Jenkins tells me I
> must to do an HTTP POST not a GET and the code returned is a 405.
>
> The best I can tell is the is python-jenkins is doing a GET rather than a
> POST when deleting nodes?
>
> Anyone have a solution on how to get this to work? Obviously other users of
> nodepool must have this working.
>
> Thanks for any help!

We in openstack-infra have not see this issue, mostly because we have migrated
away from Jenkins. What i would suggest, is updating python-jenkins to do what
you have suggested, switch from GET to POST and see if nodepool becomes happy.

I did take a quick look into review.openstack.org, but didn't see any existing
patches around this issue.

---
Paul