[OpenStack-Infra] Notification of periodic CI job failure?

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Aug 18 18:35:41 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017, at 03:29 AM, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Hi there!  I have a periodic CI job [1][2], for networking-calico, which
> fails occasionally; and I wanted to ask if there is any simple mechanism
> for me to be notified when there is a failure.
>
> I think I've asked or investigated this before, and that the answer was
> no
> - but I'd like to double check.
>
> I also guess that I could add my own notifying code, of some kind, at the
> end of the shell script in [1] - but it would be preferable if there was
> already a mechanism built in to the CI framework.
>
> Best wishes - Neil
>
> [1]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/jenkins/jobs/networking-calico.yaml
> [2]
> http://logs.openstack.org/periodic/periodic-tempest-dsvm-networking-calico-master/

Jobs can send email notifications though that configuration is per
pipeline so somewhat clunky just for a single job. We've also found that
when we sent email in the past no one read it. This was a big reason for
the OpenStack Health project which tracks job runs in a nice web ui.

You can find the networking-calico health dashboard at
http://status.openstack.org/openstack-health/#/g/project/openstack~2Fnetworking-calico.
The dashboard itself doesn't provide notifications but the service does
via rss. You can subscribe to networking-calico rss notifications at
http://health.openstack.org/runs/key/project/openstack/networking-calico/recent/rss.
Hopefully you find one or both of these options to be a viable solution
to your need.

Hope this helps,
Clark