[OpenStack-Infra] Borrowing OpenStack Infrastructure tools

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Mar 9 02:27:26 UTC 2016

On 03/06/2016 12:10 PM, Noorul Islam K M wrote:

> I am a big fan of Openstack CI. I used it when I was contributing to
> Solum project.
>
> Currently at work we have a requirement to find a CI solution. Since I
> know Openstack CI is comprehensive and stable, I thought I would re-use
> it. Why to re-invent? And also it is open and free.
>
> I was going through Thierry Carrez's presentation [1] on the topic,
> "OpenStack Infrastructure tools you will want to borrow", but it is not
> clear from that how it can be re-used. Also I have been reading,
> "Running your own CI infrastructure" [2] which seems to be
> comprehensive.
>
> Some of the challenges we are having.
>
> 1. We are already using Chef as our configuration management tool. It
>     looks like we have to learn and bring in another tool Puppet to our
>     infra.

I do not think you must use our puppet to run our tools. However, as
Doug pointed out, we've moved to using puppet apply which is similar to
chef solo, so it's maybe not too bad to re-use.

> 2. We are already using Atlassian Stash (re-named as Bitbucket server
>     lately) as review tool. It will be hard to convince all our
>     developers to move to Gerrit. Someone on irc pointed me to [3], to
>     clarify that Gerrit is an implementation of Source interface. I hope,
>     I will be able to implement Stash interface to Zuul. Has anyone in
>     this list successfully integrated Zuul with review tools other than
>     Gerrit?

There is a github patch series that has not landed yet - and will not
land until zuul v3. However, we do intend to land it once zuul v3 is up
and going. You should look at:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack-infra/zuul+branch:master+topic:github-integration

Stash is the other thing that's not github and gerrit that I think it
makes sense to implement a Source for.

> 3. We are using Redmine for project/issue tracking. I know that Zuul is
>     using Launchpad. I think lately it also supports Storyboard. Also
>     RedHat's Softwarefactory [4] project seems to be using Redmine. I
>     have not looked into their code base [5] yet. But I hope I will be
>     able to use Redmine with Zuul. If someone from this list has already
>     attempted this, it will be great if they could share the experience.

Actually, zuul doens't really know much about launchpad, storyboard or
redmine. That integration is done at the gerrit level.

Let us know how it goes!