[OpenStack-Infra] Infra priorities and spec cleanup

Joshua Hesketh joshua.hesketh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:51:33 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Jeremy Stanley wrote:

>>> Agreed, that's actually a pretty trivial change, comparatively
>>> speaking.
>>>

>> Oh, though it bears mention that the most recent extended outage
>> (and by far longest we've experienced in a while) would have been
>> just as bad either way. It had nothing to do with recovering
>> attached volumes/filesystems, but rather was a host outage at the
>> provider entirely outside our sphere of control. That sort of issue
>> can potentially happen with any of our servers/services no matter
>> how much we split them up.
>>

> I don't think it would have been just as bad... Even in the unlucky case
> where the VMs end up on the same machine and are all affected, IIUC
> rebuilding some of them would have been much faster if they were split up
> (less data to rsync) ?

I believe only the VM was rsync'd to a new server and the cinder volumes
reattached. What did take a while though was the fsck that ran after it
rebooted. This would have been faster for some services if they were on a
separate VM with smaller disks.

Another gain from separating the services is the surface area affected
should a node go down is smaller. If we're lucky just one service would go
down at a time (for example job logs, but tarballs stays up).

Cheers,
Josh