[OpenStack-Infra] Work toward a translations checksite and call for help

Frank Kloeker eumel at arcor.de
Wed Jul 20 14:45:32 UTC 2016

Am 2016-07-11 14:59, schrieb Vipul Nayyar:
> Hey Elizabeth,
>
> I'd like to contribute. :-)
>
> I have some past deployment and Ops experience and I'm really
> interested in building something of a blue green deployment system
> here, to decrease the downtime. Although, I'm still going through the
> infra related docs which I'm fairly new to, but with a little bit of
> guidance early on, I'll be happy to take over some responsibilities
> over time.
>
> Maybe a good place for me to start might be, to have a deep look at
> the puppet module written by Frank and probably noting down the most
> common errors that are encountered regularly. I'd like to hear more
> concrete thoughts from the community about how to proceed on this, if
> any.

Welcome Vipul,

no big prefaces, I'd like the idea with blue/green deployment because we
have to bridge downtime when DevStack is re-installing, requirement is
once a week (day). And we have to pick a way return if DevStack
installation failed. The reason for this is more DevStack specific
because we want to use master branch with the newest changes.
I have gained some experience with LXD containter and want to push the
topic a little bit forward. The draft of my idea is here:
https://github.com/eumel8/translation_checksite/blob/container/translation_check_container.jpg
There are 2 container with DevStack installation + translation
checksite. In front of the container is some magic, called Watchdog for
installing the stuff and guarding the installation. Traffic will be
route to the last available container version. Container installation is
a little bit described here:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/devstack/guides/lxc.html But needs
to adapt for LXD 2.0.
And we have to persuade the infra team to provide 16.04 VM :-)
Let me know what do you think.

kind regards

Frank