[OpenStack-Infra] Work toward a translations checksite and call for help

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Mon Jul 11 17:46:40 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 5:59 AM, Vipul Nayyar <nayyar23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Elizabeth,
>
> I'd like to contribute. :-)
>
> I have some past deployment and Ops experience and I'm really interested in
> building something of a blue green deployment system here, to decrease the
> downtime. Although, I'm still going through the infra related docs which I'm
> fairly new to, but with a little bit of guidance early on, I'll be happy to
> take over some responsibilities over time.
>
> Maybe a good place for me to start might be, to have a deep look at the
> puppet module written by Frank and probably noting down the most common
> errors that are encountered regularly. I'd like to hear more concrete
> thoughts from the community about how to proceed on this, if any.

Thank you for volunteering to help!

The following is quick rundown of how I've been testing Frank's
changes, which is also a bit of a crash course in how we test our
Puppet work, which is valuable to learn:

First of all, I was testing on public cloud instances with 8G of RAM
running Ubuntu 14.04, but I no longer have access to the one I was
using. I now test this on a local KVM instance with 8G of RAM.

As for testing itself, you'll want to follow our instructions for
"Making a change in Puppet" here:
http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/sysadmin.html#making-a-change-in-puppet

Put something like the following in the local.pp:
http://paste.openstack.org/show/489372/

Before running the ./install_modules.sh command, apply Frank's
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276466/ to your cloned
/root/system-config with git fetch, which will be something like, as
root:

    cd system-config/
    git fetch https://review.openstack.org/openstack-infra/system-config
refs/changes/66/276466/9 && git checkout FETCH_HEAD

...you can get this fetch link from Gerrit, at the top right of
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276466/ where it says "Download" and
has a drop down menu with all the links.

Then you can continue with install_modules and the puppet apply command.

If your system or internet connection is on the slow side, you may
also need to bump the timeout in the checksite module, which I did in
this patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/337912/

Since I really could use the help running these tests and improving
the fault tolerance of this module, I really appreciate your effort.
Please mail the list here or grab me on IRC (I'm pleia2 in
#openstack-infra on freenode) if you need any help. Collecting error
messages folks run into here will help us too.