[OpenStack-Infra] stackalytics.openstack.org usage

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 14:56:35 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 02:21:29PM +0300, Ilya Shakhat wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I wanted to see what else was needed from you to start working with
> > stackalytics.openstack.org? Its been online for the last 6 weeks and
> > seems to be
> > going strong.  Current maintenance is pretty limited but would be
> > interested in
> > seeing what you need to do to the system to make it production ready.
> >

> How about monitoring? There are 3 types of things to keep an eye on:
>
>    - front-end state - simple HTTP check that the server returns 200 and
>    some data
>    - data freshness - to check that the update was run during last couple
>    days - on s.com this is not automated, but it's something that my
>    colleagues care about
>    - errors in logs - rarely, but changes in module config in default_data
>    may result in errors causing the whole project being non-updated --
>    currently monitored manually.

Do these checks exist today or something that needs to be added? If they exist,
do you mind sharing the code? We do have cacti.openstack.org to provide some
monitoring.  However, -infra only have manually checks at the moment.

> I still need to work on the drivelog stuff, I should have some time in the
> > coming 2 weeks to finish that up.
> >
> I'm still hesitating whether driverlog should be a separate module, or it
> is just an additional config for Stackalytics. There are things that
> driverlog collects and Stackalytics does not (latest CI run on stable
> branches) but I'm not sure if anyone uses this data. So if you think that
> it would be easier to merge DriverLog into I would not disagree.

Might be worth bringing this up in an -infra meeting.  If the content is static,
we can deal with that pretty easy. We can also add it to stackalytics.o.o,
however we are pretty tapped for memory ATM.

> > I'd like to formalize stackatlyics.o.o and see what is needed to move it
> > into
> > production. This will allow us to move one step closer to 'Host
> > Stackalytics Service'[1]
> >

> Ok. So the remaining steps are:
>
>    - move the repo under openstack-infra
>    - change repo ACL to add Infra cores (I'm really-really looking for
>    other folks to review CRs)
>    - move default_data.json to project_config
>    - redirect s.com to s.o.o

Do we need to move the repo under openstack-infra, or just break some data out?
If we add some of the configuration into project-config, we'll get the people
for code reviews.

What is stopping us from doing the move today? I assume you need to update some
code in stackalytics?

> BTW, I know there is not much documentation on Stackalytics. Do I need to
> write some?

More docs help, I'd suggest adding it to
http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/stackalytics.html