[OpenStack-Infra] Upcoming Nodepool changes

Darragh Bailey daragh.bailey at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:33:40 UTC 2016

On 13 December 2016 at 00:25, James E. Blair <corvus at inaugust.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm happy to report that we have made significant progress on adding
> ZooKeeper support to Nodepool, in preparation for supporting Zuul v3.

I keep meaning to read up on what's planned for zuul v3, the recorded talk
from the last summit was good in explaining some of the benefits for users
of the new capabilities, but I'd also love to get up to speed on how some
of the backend changes will improve things for operation. Is there some
blog posts or something that goes into this?

> This branch contains an update to the nodepool-builder process which
> uses ZooKeeper rather than MySQL and gearman for coordinating image
> builds and storing information about them (the main nodepool process
> still uses MySQL and gearman -- updating it to use ZooKeeper is the next
> section of work).

Will any of that break those still using zuul/nodepool with Jenkins? Or is
that orthogonal? I still don't have a full handle on how
Jenkins/Zuul/Nodepool interacts besides that it uses gearman.

> Tomorrow, I also plan on merging the zuulv3 branch into master.  If you
> are interested in becoming an early adopter of this, that would be a
> great time to start using it.  We don't have much documentation in
> Nodepool itself about this, but the short version is: install and run
> ZooKeeper (a one node cluster is fine) and point Nodepool at it.  There
> is already (optional) support for it in puppet-openstackci and
> puppet-nodepool.  You can take a look at the OpenStack infra operational
> documentation here:
>
>   http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/nodepool.html
>
> Once we tidy the master branch up a bit, we will release a new version,
> 0.4.0 with the ZooKeeper based builder.  At that point, it would be a
> good idea for anyone running Nodepool to begin using it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Looking forward to checking it out, and hopefully getting involved around
zuulv3 integration with GitHub!

--
Darragh Bailey
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"