[OpenStack-Infra] Upcoming Nodepool changes

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Dec 13 00:25:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm happy to report that we have made significant progress on adding
ZooKeeper support to Nodepool, in preparation for supporting Zuul v3.

You may recall that a while back, we made a release of Nodepool (0.3.0)
before we started this work so that folks who didn't want to live on the
bleeding edge could pin to it.  If that sounds reassuring, you should
keep doing that (or start now).

Tomorrow, I plan on making the 0.3.1 release, as the master branch has
had a few bugfixes and other changes since our 0.3.0 release.

OpenStack infra has been running the zuulv3 branch of Nodepool for
several days now, long enough to assure ourselves that it is stable
enough that any problems we find in production can be fixed by moving
forward.

This branch contains an update to the nodepool-builder process which
uses ZooKeeper rather than MySQL and gearman for coordinating image
builds and storing information about them (the main nodepool process
still uses MySQL and gearman -- updating it to use ZooKeeper is the next
section of work).

Tomorrow, I also plan on merging the zuulv3 branch into master.  If you
are interested in becoming an early adopter of this, that would be a
great time to start using it.  We don't have much documentation in
Nodepool itself about this, but the short version is: install and run
ZooKeeper (a one node cluster is fine) and point Nodepool at it.  There
is already (optional) support for it in puppet-openstackci and
puppet-nodepool.  You can take a look at the OpenStack infra operational
documentation here:

  http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/nodepool.html

Once we tidy the master branch up a bit, we will release a new version,
0.4.0 with the ZooKeeper based builder.  At that point, it would be a
good idea for anyone running Nodepool to begin using it.

Thanks,

Jim