[OpenStack-Infra] vcsrepo upstream

Marton Kiss marton.kiss at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:09:45 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Actually openstack-infra/system-config is using the
openstack-infra/puppet-vcsrepo module for handling git repositories.

With Jeremy and Clark we found an issue related this vcsrepo module which
is a fork of original puppetlabs-vcsrepo, but not follow the upstream. I
made a little poc to demonstrate the issue, which is related to the refresh
event invocation of github repositories.

https://github.com/mkissam/puppet-vcsrepo-refresh-poc/blob/master/vcsrepo-refresh-poc.md

The story here, if we checking out a specific commit ref, every puppet run
will trigger a refresh event, even the repository not changed when we use
the ensure => latest class parameter.

The upstream have a patch that resolve this specific issue:
(MODULES-660) Correct detached HEAD on latest
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-vcsrepo/commit/6624f40651f44e184878a9fbb862bda886d899e8

I see to options here: backport the patch from upstream or as an
alternative, drop openstack-infra/puppet-vcsrepo and use upstream one.

The question here, what was the exact reason of forking vcsepo? Can we go
with backport, or freely upgrade the system-config to consume upstream
vcsrepo?

Brgds,
  Marton Kiss