[OpenStack-Infra] OpenStack Mailing List question: how to rename a mailing list?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Sep 3 15:46:21 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-27 16:45:19 -0400 (-0400), Ju Lim wrote:
[...]
> We in the OpenStack UX community would like to re-purpose the
> OpenStack Personas (openstack-personas at lists.openstack.org) and
> rename it OpenStack-UX vs. re-creating a brand new OpenStack-UX
> mailing list with the same members, and have an email alias to
> support openstack-personas (for backward compatibility).
>
> I know there's a process for creating a request for a new mailing
> list, but I did not see one for a request to change the name of an
> existing OpenStack mailing list.
>
> Would someone be able to help or let me know whom I can contact to
> regarding this change?
[...]

To the best of my knowledge, we've only renamed one mailing list on
our listserv: as an upshot of the board transparency working group,
board of directors discussion was moved from a private list to a
public one but the existing private list was renamed so that the new
public list could usurp the original name making it less likely
board members continued to post to the wrong (private) list.

All that is to say, mailing list renaming is disruptive and
undertaken as an extremely unusual case. What is the need your group
has to switch the E-mail address of the list? Is it purely cosmetic,
or is there some unmentioned problem it's assumed to solve (in which
case we should discuss other options to solve whatever that problem
is first before resorting to a list rename).