[OpenStack-Infra] zuul-merger and garbage collection

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue May 12 14:34:59 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015, at 01:40 AM, Heald, Nicola wrote:

> From: Clark Boylan [cboylan at sapwetik.org]
> > One example we have run into with GitPython is that if the repo is
> > repacked (which git can do for you when it decides to) object files may
> > not exist any longer and need to be refound in the pack file instead.
> > The only way to get GitPython to see that is the make a new repo object.
>
> Ah, this *might* be what we're seeing. During normal zuul-merger
> operation, it should never have files open that are deleted on disk,
> should it?
>
> Deleting the entire repo has never given us a problem, but now we're
> seeing pack files that zuul-merger has open with a worrying (deleted)
> next to them in lsof output.
>
> Sound like removing our `git gc` cronjob is a good idea?
No, I think zuul-merger should handle this case just fine. It does
create a new repo object specifically to avoid problems when git decides
a repack is necessary [0].

Does zuul-merger stop working in these cases? Maybe we should back up
and describe a concrete issue being seen with zuul-merger if there is
one and work on a fix from there?

[0]
https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/zuul/tree/zuul/merger/merger.py#n64

Clark