[OpenStack-Infra] enforce bug ids in commit message

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Mar 20 03:14:26 UTC 2015

On 19 March 2015 at 18:58,  <Sean_McGinnis at dell.com> wrote:
> Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
>
> I agree with Jeremy. My approach has been if it's addressing a problem or it is a significant enough change that needs some additional background beyond what can be put in a commit message then it makes sense to create a bug.
>
> If it's just something small like cleaning up some code or to make some minor improvements I don't think it makes sense to require a bug to be filed for that. I would also consider that being busywork.
>
> The main benefit I see of having a bug filed is others can find it and know if something they are seeing is being addressed. I don't think it would give much benefit to others to see a bug for something like me improving some logging messages or something like that.
>
> I would rather see the effort focused on making sure folks write decent commit messages than whether or not they've filled out the proper paperwork.

+1

But also - I've noticed that rather a lot of bugs in our bug trackers
are essentially work items - noting something that was part of
development of a feature, neither a defect that reached a user, nor a
conceptual lack which we're correcting. Things with no root cause
(because nothing was /wrong/ before), and nothing actually broken. I
don't think they add any value as bugs.

I don't care whether features are listed in the bugtracker or not -
thats a different debate. I do care that we don't create a single bug
in the bug tracker just because we are doing a commit, because thats
more that pointless paperwork - its actively harmful to folk trying to
figure out what our user experience is like, how many concerns users
have (both 'would like X', and 'crashed when I do Y') etc.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist