[OpenStack-Infra] Proposal: create a translation check website

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 16:35:52 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
> On 09/17/2014 05:04 PM, James E. Blair wrote:
>> Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com> writes:
>>
>>> So I propose to create a translation check website on top of openstack
>>> infrastructure.
>>> It is a simple devstack setup where almost all services are enabled.
>>> Transifex translations are synchronized regularly, by cron in Akihiro's
>>> env.
>>> I think a regular Jenkins job could do it, in openstack CI env.
>>> devstack is rerun manually occasionally, in Akihiro's env.
>>> I think, you would know how to make it automatically in openstack CI env.
>>>
>>> It's not in a hurry.
>>> Temporarily, we are using Akihiro's env.
>>> In the long term, it's good to have such a translation check website based
>>> on openstack infrastructure.
>>> Let me know how you are thinking of this idea.
>>
>> Hi, this is a good idea!
>>
>> Monty is looking at using ansible to drive some of our automation.  This
>> sounds like something we could do by having ansible periodically build
>> an instance and run devstack on it, and then periodically (probably more
>> frequently) sync the translations to it.
>>
>> How often do you think devstack should be run?  And then how often
>> should translations be synchronized?
>
> Translations are imported once a day as proposal patch to the projects -
> and then it takes time to merge them in... So, if we do it this way, it
> would be a daily import.
>
> We could import directly from transifex as well as Akihiro suggested -
> and then daily would be fine. We could even use the proposed patch
> instead...

Daily patch of translation import is sometimes deferred due to various reasons.
Importing translations from Transifex more frequently is just for
convenience of translators.
I already have a script to do both (horizon update and translation import) and
we can use it. Translation import to the main repo is included of course :-)

Thanks,
Akihiro

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>