[OpenStack-Infra] Groups portal SSL certificates

Jimmy Mcarthur jimmy at tipit.net
Wed Nov 19 17:29:36 UTC 2014

Hey all -

Just wanted to add a little clarity to this so that the rest of the
Infra team is up to speed about how we got here. OAuth2 was included as
part of OpenStackID for this exact reason. As you all know OpenID has
limited standard claims
(http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#StandardClaims),
which didn't seem to meet the long term needs of the community. As a
result, our original proposal was to use OpenID Connect since it
hadOAuth baked in. Since that was a no go from the Gerrit side, we
ultimately pursued OpenID + OAuth2 so we could have similar
functionality, even if the lift was a little heavier.

The idea is that ultimately you'll be able to share pieces of
information across the many OpenStack properties (e.g. the last Gerrit
commit, # of commits per user, profile picture, CLA signature, messages
to encourage members to vote, etc..) In the end, this is meant to
connect all of the properties through a single OpenStackID and allow for
greater data sharing amongst them.

Thanks and please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Jimmy McArthur / Tipit.net <http://Tipit.net>< jimmy at tipit.net
<mailto:jimmy at tipit.net>>
m: 512.965.4846