[OpenStack-Infra] check pipeline triggered when comments are added

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Mar 4 12:56:52 UTC 2014

Correct, when we did the analysis of the giant back up in Feb, a very
large number of the gate resets were caused by people pushing old
patches in that could not pass tests. People would +A patches that had
test results that were 6 weeks old.

I didn't do careful analysis here, but based on the number of patches I
manually pulled out, it wouldn't surprise me if 1/3 of the resets were
caused by this. I also sent multiple emails to the openstack-dev mailing
list, to try to change the user behavior here, and it didn't.

Because with a complicated system like OpenStack, with > 100 python
requirements, and 10 integrated projects, the reason a patch passes or
doesn't is very much related to it's interaction with the rest of the
projects and dependencies. In 6 weeks we probably took at least as many
dependency updates. And we merged 2000 patches across the rest of
OpenStack. So the universe that that patch passed 6 weeks ago is
completely invalid.

So we encoded it into the core logic. And it is directly responsible for
the increased gate stability in icehouse-3.

But all that being said, I guess I'd ask the base question: what part of
having fresh test results do you find annoying?

Because that I don't actually understand. :)

	-Sean