[OpenStack-Infra] About openstack branching model and openstack branch stable/icehouse

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 12 09:50:27 UTC 2014

Le Tian Ren wrote:
> After review the 2 models, I have several questions:

As OpenStack release manager (and author of said "OpenStack model") I'll
try to answer those.

> 1. OpenStack's master branch works as both the development and
> master(production ready) branch of the NVIE model together, right?  I
> wonder 2 main branches vs 1 main branch, which one is better and why?

We don't have an equivalent of NVIE's "master" branch. We use a set of
stable branches instead. The main reason is that it maps better to our
downstream consumers (OpenStack distributions), which typically would
only issue bugfixes as updates, and jump from branch to branch when they
issue a new version of the distribution. For that reason we don't have a
single release channel (master) but multiple ones (stable/*).

> 2. I noticed that there are stable/icheouse, stable/havana branches on
> github web GUI of many openstack projects like nova, heat, ironic. To
> what branches mentioned in the above 2 models can these stable/* mapped,
> supporting release branches? hot fix branches?

They would be like overlapping "master" branches. We apply hotfixes for
them, and we generally support them longer then just until the next release.

> BTW, if I git clone these
> projects, I cannot see those stable/* branches with git branch.. why?

See Jeremy's answer for that.

> And when were they created in a OpenStack release cycle and what for?

They are created at release time. Note that we are changing the process
this cycle, though. We'll probably have a proposed/juno branch (NVIE's
release branch) which then turns into stable/juno (~ NVIE's master branch).

Hope this helps,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)