[OpenStack-Infra] Moving gantt to stackforge

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 20:05:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:58 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
>> The gantt repository was originally put under openstack/.  I would like
>> to move gantt to stackforge to better reflect the current status of the
>> project.
>>
>> We don't actually expect anyone to use gantt as-is.  The consensus seems
>> to be that we have quite a bit of work left to do inside of Nova before
>> we can regenerate the gantt repo and try for the forklift again.  In the
>> meantime, there are some that are still interested in experimenting with
>> the current gantt repo.
>>
>> How do we go about doing this move?  Should I file a bug to track it?
>> What can I do to help?
>
> I'm not sure the move is really needed. openstack/* shouldn't carry any
> notion of usability/stability, it just reflects that the project is an
> openstack project. Since gantt belongs to the official Compute program,
> it should be under openstack/*.

openstack/* does carry some notion of usability, but that is for
another discussion.   More importantly I don't think the gantt repo
should belong in the official Compute program.

> The move to stackforge would make sense if it was developed by a nascent
> separate group, but I don't think that's the case here ?

I think this is the case, currently the core group on gantt is
nova-core and Robert Collins, while the main commiter is Donald Dugger
(who asked for gantt to be kept around to play with). But now that we
have decided that we have no use for the gantt repo, I don't think it
makes sense for nova-core to take on the burdon of reviewing gantt
patches.  I know that I won't be anymore (I think I have reviewed
every gantt patch to date).