[OpenStack-I18n] [I18n] project team status update regarding internationalization/translation as July 2019

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 23:47:48 UTC 2019

Hello all,

I would like to share current project team status for better visibility
into I18n team members, copying to openstack-discuss and user-committee
thread:

1. Translation and team effort status
There are still lots of translation contribution as you see through
Stackalytics:
https://www.stackalytics.com/?metric=translations&release=train .

The number of translated words is not larger than the previous cycle,
but I estimate that it will be similar or a little bit less than the
previous cycle since I18n usually contributes translations a lot especially
during Soft & Hard StringFreeze periods.
Note that I18n team currently sets higher priority on OpenStack user
survey translation and project document translations.
Such priorities information can be found on Zanata dashboard:
https://translate.openstack.org/ .
Other progress such as migrating Zanata into other translation platform
seems slow - me and Frank are planning to have a virtual sprint.

2. Shanghai Summit & PTG preparation
: Frank submitted his presentation including me and Hoarce (China team).
Let's wait for final approval on presentation submission.
: There should be PTG at Shanghai - please add your name and detail
thinking to Etherpad mentioned in
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2019-July/003436.html .
   I strongly think to more encourage participation since I expect more
participation especially from Chinese translators & contributors.

3. Updating ATC & AUC
: Frank previously submitted extra-ATC for Stein through
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/633398/ , and this time I would like to
submit the stat calculation from 2019-01-26 to 2019-07-25.
: All contributors who had commits on openstack/i18n repository will be
automatically regarded as Active Technical Contributors [1], and
   I18n team would like to nominate all translators who contributed
translations on OpenStack official repositories
(https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/projects/ ) >= 300 words
   as extra-ATCs assuming that their Zanata e-mail IDs are registered as
Foundation members.
: All translators who contributed >=300 word tranlations to the
following projects will be nominated as Active User Contributors [2]
   assuming that their Zanata e-mail IDs are registered as Foundation
members: "contributor-guide, edge-computing,
leveraging-containers-openstack, openstack-user-survey, operations-guide".
   This is new nomination after the decision during Stein PTG with User
Committee: Please see [3] and [4] if you would like to follow-up with
more information.

I will do this nomination for ATC & AUC as PTL just after July 25,
although the due of extra ATC is Aug 26-30 [5] since I synced with
Foundation that the price of Summit ticket will increase around Aug 7
: processing within the due will be fine, also I set period exactly for
six months.

4. Team status
: Although I regularly be online during I18n (+Docs) IRC team meetings,
I couldn't find enough quorum, and I couldn't proceed more deep
conversation with language teams (usually no reply from my e-mails
unfortunately).
: Current I18n team core members seem busy but when I communicate with
them, all they are still very supportive to I18n team projects. I really
appreciate their kind help.
: Also, I find that some translators are very active comparing to some
inactive language coordinators. In this case, would it be a good idea to
nominate them as language coordinators? Please share your thoughts.
: However, if such lack of team member conversations keep going, then
I18n team might decide during upcoming PTG to make translation from an
official team status into Special Interest Group [6].
   This would mean that there will be no official PTL election and there
will be no extra-ATC nomination, although I need to more figure out in
details in future.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/i18n/latest/official_translator.html#atc-status-in-i18n-project
[2]https://governance.openstack.org/uc/reference/charter.html#active-user-contributors-auc