[OpenStack-I18n] [Openstack-sigs] Edge Computing Whitepaper Translation

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Tue May 29 23:17:39 UTC 2018

Hi Ian,

Thanks for more considerations.

2018年5月30日(水) 0:42 Ian Y. Choi <ianyrchoi at gmail.com>:

> Hello Akihiro,
>
> Looks so amazing! Thanks a lot for your lots of progress on translated
> edge computing white paper publication
> with RST-based method, which is much preferred from I18n team, Docs
> team, and all upstream projects.
>
> In my honest opinion, using *one* unified tool in all OpenStack area
> including official projects and publication
> would be best, but more discussion and agreement on multiple different
> teams (+ Foundation) would be needed I think.
> When I attended to a Forum on ops-guide during Summit last week, I found
> that ops-guide would want to convert from Wiki-based format to RST-based
> format.
> It would be pretty nice if we all use RST-based documents to many
> places, but more things (e.g., current implementation,
> maintenance, ...) need to be considered I think.

RST can start from simpler cases and potentially supports more complicated
cases.
I personally prefer to using RST-based documents everywhere.

> Now I would like to ask more opinions on:
>
> - @amotoki: How long does it take to convert original text file + texts
> on a PDF file to RST-based formats?
>                          Did you do it manually and would it be also
> rather easy for other members such as me or Foundation staff?

Setting up the initial repo and converting the original text into RST
format was really simple.
It tooks only less than our hour.

In this case, I took extra two or three hous to cover the following, but I
don't think it always happens.
- to adjust Japanese translation to cover differences between the published
PDF version
  and the text uploaded to Zanata
- to automate the above differences for other languages

> - @Foundation: Is it okay for translated white papers to publish with
> RST-based tools as Akihiro did, since RST-based tools
>                               are much easier to publish translated
> documents and sync translated resources (po files)?
>
> - @Foundation: OpenStack documents use CC BY 3.0. Would it be fine for
> translated white papers to use similar CC
>                              rather than CC BY-ND 4.0, for original edge
> computing white paper document or cause intellectual issues?

I don't mind using different licenses even if they don't block community
collaborations.
We have a number of documentations (TC governed project documents, SIG
documents, .....),
so it would be nice if we select licenses consistently.

> - All (including translators): For design stuff, just making use of
> openstackdocstheme would be pretty fine?
>          For example, I forked from Akihiro's github repo, and published
> using openstackdocstheme
>          to https://ianychoi.github.io/edge-computing-whitepaper/
>          (e.g., https://ianychoi.github.io/edge-computing-whitepaper/ja/
> ).

Using openstackdocstheme would be nice when it is published in openstack.org
.
openstackdocstheme is intended to use for OpenStack *official* projects,
so I just didn't use it as an initial effort.

If we continue to use another variants of CC and openstackdocstheme,
we can update openstackdocstheme to support more CC licensees.