[OpenStack-I18n] [OpenStack-docs] [docs][i18n][ptg] Denver PTG Summary for Docs (and i18n)

Petr Kovar pkovar at redhat.com
Mon Oct 2 16:04:47 UTC 2017

Kendall also sent me these team pics from the PTG, forgot to share them,
sorry!

https://pmkovar.fedorapeople.org/ptg/DSC_4019.JPG
https://pmkovar.fedorapeople.org/ptg/DSC_4021.JPG

Cheers,
pk

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 14:47:20 -0600
Petr Kovar <pkovar at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wanted to share a few notes and a brief summary of what happened in
> Denver last week, during the Project Team Gathering, in docs and i18n
> shared sessions.
>
> We had a fairly good attendance of 5 to 15 ppl during the first two
> days. A number of people primarily working on other projects showed up in
> our sessions to chat about common issues and plans. On the other hand, many
> of our cores couldn't attend, though I'm hoping if PTG comes closer to
> Europe, the attendance will improve.
>
> On a related note, we also welcomed new cores to the team and the Denver
> PTG was an opportunity for some of us to meet face to face for the first
> time.
>
> The overall schedule for all our sessions with some comments can be found at
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/docs-i18n-ptg-queens, there's also
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/doc-future-problems with a more detailed
> discussion of some of the items.
>
> To summarize what I found most important:
>
> VISION
>
> We spent a lot of time discussing a new vision document for the docs team,
> based on the updated docs team mission statement
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/499556/). A working draft is available
> here:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/docs-i18n-ptg-queens-mission-statement
>
> In the coming weeks, we'll transform those notes into a final draft and
> share it with the broader community for input.
>
> The next step after this would be to update/rework
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/docs_follows-policy.html.
>
> EOL DOCS AVAILABILITY
>
> Discussed addressing numerous issues related to publishing EOL docs and our
> docs retention policy, based on community feedback and many requests. The
> plan is to write a retention policy docs spec, resurrect Mitaka docs and add
> badges to clearly identify unsupported content, among other things.
>
> HA GUIDE
>
> Work will continue on the guide per the previous plans.
>
> ARCHITECTURE GUIDE
>
> From Pike, this guide is frozen. Patches still welcome.
>
> OPENSTACK-MANUALS BUGS
>
> To be moved to appropriate projects, if applicable.
>
> CONFIG DOCS
>
> Discussed with several teams, particularly cinder, how to generate
> config tables using oslo_config.sphinxext.
>
> REDESIGNING DOCS SITE
>
> A couple of improvements to adjust the site content structure and
> overall design was discussed, such as tweaking lists of projects, linking
> from series subpages back to the top page, install vs. deployment pages,
> linking to projects with no stable branches, redoing our sitemap, switching
> to SCSS, improving HTML semantics, etc.
>
> DOCS TOOLING
>
> Doug kindly offered the team and the community to give a presentation
> about updated docs tooling:

> [...]

Petr Kovar
Sr. Technical Writer | Customer Content Services
Red Hat Czech, Brno