[OpenStack-I18n] [OpenStack-docs] request for help from ESL readers

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Mon Apr 3 22:16:25 UTC 2017

Hi Brian,

I'm a native (non-US) English speaker, so I'm approaching this as a technical communicator, moreso than as an ESL speaker.

As Ian pointed out, the content is not well organised, and I think that's the main source of confusion, rather than the language used. I had to read the first two sentences a few times to understand what was being said, and it was mostly because of the strange construction. People don't expect to read passive, parenthetical statements in technical documents, so it comes as a surprise.

Additionally, there's a lot of words here for not much content. That makes it harder for everyone (regardless of native language) to understand, because it buries the important content in a bunch of filler words. Additionally, the content (according to the title) is about identifying producers and consumers, but the text uses producers, consumers, projects, users, and images, without being clear about what each thing is. For non-expert readers, there is no way for them to know if these terms are related, or possibly even different words for the same thing.

Here's my (very quick) rewrite of the first para, which might give you a good starting point (and that I'm sure many of the writers can improve further):

> Glance allows operators to decide whether images are owned by projects or whether
> they are owned by users. By default, images are owned by projects. This section will
> explain how to identify producers and consumers, in order to determine who should own
> which projects.

To give you an idea of the thought process in a rewrite like this, the first thing to determine is the most important information, and put that up first. In this case, that was in the third sentence (Glance lets you decide who owns images). This frames the problem. From there, you can go into more detail about what the chapter will cover (the solutions to the problem, hopefully!). Obviously, this is for an opening paragraph of a concept, but the general principle (find the most important thing) holds true for other content types as well.

HTH,
Lana