[Openstack-i18n] Glossary management

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 19:17:11 UTC 2016

# I changed the thread title to the appropriate one.

> Thank you for the input, Akihiro and Kato.
>
> I'm not strict in local communication method and IRC ID.
> If you have clearly documented them in your team wiki, that's fine.
>
> As to the glossary, I still think git repository is better than
> wiki to store glossaries. Git repo has strict control, while wiki
> has no controls at all. Wiki is used for frequently update purpose.
> After it turns to mature, Git repo is good to store.

I agree that it is better to use gerrit to manage glossaries, but all
of my efforts
disappointed me and discourage me to do more efforts.

I already tried to maintain our glossary with context in our git repository.
It used YAML file and converts it to PO files. It allowed us to keep
contextual information.
You said it will be discussed in the IRC meetings, but I got no feedback.
I felt  it was simply ignored (or rejected).
(I could not join IRC meetings. If joining meetings is a requirement,
I have to go away.)

I clearly define what is required, but I don't see any counter solution provided
and it forces me to use useless format (i.e., PO files).

I believe I already have made enough proposal, but all of the results
disappoints me
and discourage me to try more efforts because it tends to waste my time.
Finally, I tried to use another way to manage the glossary, then I was
complained
that it is not a standard way...... As a result, I had no way to
satisfy requirements.

Managing the glossary in two places is completely less-productive,
maintain the master glossary with context information and then copy it
into i18n repo
(with losing the contextual information).

> And, using pot/po file can make all translation teams to easily follow the
> same glossary list.

Do you mean even if the data format does not satisfy our requirements
we should use it?
Unified tools or formats are also important, but tools/format which do
not satisfy
requirements are useless.

> As to the glossary, I still think git repository is better than
> wiki to store glossaries. Git repo has strict control, while wiki
> has no controls at all. Wiki is used for frequently update purpose.
> After it turns to mature, Git repo is good to store.

Regarding wiki usage, I don't think each language team page is not
frequently updated.
Does this mean a language team page does not fit into Wiki?
I am not sure why we need to apply strict policy only for glossary.
If the problem is that a wiki allows everyone to edit contents (i.e.
glossary in this case),
it is a problem of communication in a local language team.

Final question.
Gerrit is an easy way for translators or translation reviewers?
If a language coordinator is forced to proxy maintaining glossaries,

Perhaps, I am expecting too much and I may be better to be a translator.

Akihiro