[Openstack-i18n] How do we manage glossary?

Alex Eng aeng at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 23:02:44 UTC 2016

> However, my question is still how to keep discussion contexts (or
> history/background).
> It seems Zanata history is associated with Zanata internal resource ID.
> I am afraid it can be easily lost and we cannot recover it :-(

Yes, Zanata associate our internal resource ID to history.
But I don't understand why is that an issue given all translators are
already registered in Zanata and have their user id. (correct me if I'm
wrong about what you mean Akihiro)
I don't think the data can be easily lost as everything is in database. I'm
sure infrastructure team have prepared for backup and even restore if
anything happens.
Keep in mind if there's possibility of data lost, that would mean same for
all translations history.

Another benefit I can see is that their contributions will be included in
their statistics.

Japanese team actually maintains it in OpenStack wiki and it works mostly
> well
> except that we need to sync glossary manually, but it might be a small
> thing
> compared to keep "context". Keeping "context" will save time to explain why
> we choose THIS in our current glossary. If we do not have it, we need to
> explain same things to new contributors again and again, and this will
> increase
> the barrier to new contributors.

This is one of the improvement we want to make as Glossary in Zanata at the
moment is global (everyone shares the same glossary).
We might look into levelling Glossary into project level or even concept of
context glossary where you can select which group glossary you wish to use.
Please feel free to provide us feedback if such feature is needed.

Another thing you might want to explore is to use our translation memory
import export. It has the concept of group (context) and it shows up in
translation memory panel.
But only limitation is that it only supports .tmx file. You can access it
through "admin" screen and "translation memory"

Alex Eng
Globalisation Tools Engineering
DID: +61 3514 8262 <callto:+61+3514+8262>
Mobile: +614 2335 3457 <callto:+614+2335+3457>

Red Hat, Asia-Pacific Pty Ltd
Level 1, 193 North Quay
Brisbane 4000
Office: +61 7 3514 8100 <callto:+61+7+3514+8100>
Fax: +61 7 3514 8199 <callto:+61+7+3514+8199>
Website: www.redhat.com