[Openstack-i18n] What's Up, Doc? 18 Sep 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Sep 18 04:28:41 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

First of all, with PTL candidacy now closed, it appears that I will be
continuing to hold the docs reins through to Mitaka. Thank you to all of
you who contacted me personally over the last week or so, expressing
their support. I'm very honoured to be leading such a great team, and
I'm looking forward to continuing to serve you. As always, my door will
continue to be open to ideas, comments, and criticism, so please keep
telling me what you do and don't like!

We're less than a month away from the Liberty release now, and with the
Mitaka PTL question settled, I'll be working on Design Summit session
planning over the next few weeks. I've created an etherpad to gather
your ideas, more on that in this newsletter. In other news, testing is
now well underway on the Install Guide, I've knocked our existing
blueprints into order, been doing some thinking about the DocImpact
script, and worked with the speciality teams on determining the final
work items for Liberty.

== Progress towards Liberty ==

26 days to go

514 bugs closed so far for this release.

* RST conversion:
** Done.

* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Underway. Some tasks to be held over to Mitaka.

* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** A certain amount of progress has been made here, and some wrinkles
sorted out which will improve this process for the future.

* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** I'm still trying to come up with great ideas for this, please let me
know what you think.

* Improve communication with Docs Liaisons
** I'm very pleased to see liaisons getting more involved in our bugs
and reviews. Keep up the good work!

* Clearing out old bugs
** Great work this week, with two bugs from the last two weeks closed
(thanks Deena and Tom!). Three new bugs this week.

== Mitaka Summit Prep ==

The schedule app for your phone is now available. This is a great tool
once you're on the ground at Summit:
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=98721
6292&mt=8
(Apple) and
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sched.openstacksummitm
ay2015vancouver
(Android)

Docs have been allocated two fishbowls, four workrooms, and a half day
meetup, so now is the time to start gathering ideas for what you would
like to see us cover. Add your ideas to the etherpad here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Tokyo-DocsSessions

== Outstanding Specs ==

* Third Party Driver Content: This spec has been outstanding for a
while, and we've finally reached a consensus on how to move forward.
Please take a moment to review the spec here before we go ahead merge
it: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/191041/

* DocImpact: These are my ideas for reducing the noise from the
DocImpact script, now up for discussion and ideas:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/224420/

== Doc team meeting ==

The APAC meeting was held this week. The minutes are here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-09-16

The next meetings are:
US: Wednesday 23 September, 14:00:00 UTC
APAC: Wednesday 30 September, 00:30:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_
meeting

== Spotlight bugs for this week ==

Let's show these three that we're never going to give them up, never
going to let them down:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1293328 Review
Identity & LDAP integration

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1294726 Update Cloud
Administration Guide for OpenDaylight ML2 MechanismDriver

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1300960  Making DB
sanity checking be optional for DB migration

- --

Remember, if you have content you would like to add to this newsletter,
or you would like to be added to the distribution list, please email me
directly at openstack at lanabrindley.com, or visit:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana