[Openstack-i18n] IBM translations to contribute

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Fri Sep 11 18:00:37 UTC 2015

Hi, all

I have talked with Clark, Doug, and some translators today.
As a summary, here are my understanding to the current situation.

1. Translators welcome IBM contributions because that
could help to lessen the translation efforts.
2. IBM contributions have to go through the formal translation
process, including: translating in Zanata (although offline and then
upload),
being reviewed by reviewers, being pulled from Zanata, being reviewed
in Gerrit, and passing the testing, before it gets merged finally.
3. Zanata doesn't support to pull reviewed and approved translations.
All translations except rejected translations, even not reviewed
translations, will be pulled.
4. Because IBM contributions are a batch of translations, translators
might not have enough time
to review one by one. Some translation team may want to do a pre-review
before the po files
are uploaded to Zanata.

The key point is how to do the pre-review.

Based on all the feedback I collected today, there are several options.
Option #1: Pre-review in a private github repo.
This one is not good because it's private, not public.
Option #2: Pre-review in Gerrit
The good thing is that it's public and under Openstack governance.
The bad thing is that it'll take draft translations to developers' sight.
Developers may get confused when they see the translation patch.
What's more, messages in IBM's po files might in a different order, which
makes the
comparing with existing po files difficult.
Option #3: Pre-review in Zanata by taking the advantages of version.
Create a new version in Zanata, named as ibm-translation.
Ask IBM to upload po files there.
Translators could review in the web UI, or review offline by downloading
the po files.
Translators make comments or updates through Zanata.
IBM make improvement based on the comments.
When translators are OK with IBM translations, merge these two versions.
Option #4: No pre-review at all
Some translation teams don't mind it much as long as it covers only the
missing areas
of existing translation.

I think, #3 is the best one.
I have made a test in Zanata test server.
I created a new version of Nova, see:
https://translate-dev.openstack.org/iteration/view/nova/ibm-translation
I asked IBM to upload the Italian translations of document "nova".
You could see the percentage increase to 90%, while in master version the
percentage is still 37%.

As translation team becomes more and more popular,
there would be more people (or company) who want to contribute their
translations in po files. I want to create a formal process for those
who want to contribute translations in batch.
So I would like to collect your feedback to option #3.

@ Team coordinators, let me know what do you want to check in pre-review,
and whether using Zanata version
could support you well.
@ Clark and Elizabeth, let me know if you are OK with it from the
infrastructure perspective.
@ Carlos, maybe you could give us good suggestion as a Zanata expert.

Thank you all.

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

Douglas Fish <drfish at us.ibm.com> wrote on 09/10/2015 08:01:11 PM:

> From: Douglas Fish <drfish at us.ibm.com>
> To: openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org
> Date: 09/10/2015 08:02 PM
> Subject: Re: [Openstack-i18n] IBM translations to contribute
>
> Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> wrote on 09/09/2015 08:26:51 PM:
>
> > From: Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org>
> > To: openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org
> > Date: 09/09/2015 08:27 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Openstack-i18n] IBM translations to contribute
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 02:34 PM, Douglas Fish wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi i18n Friends,
> > >
> > > I'm happy to share that we are proceeding with our plan to share our
IBM
> > > translations with the OpenStack community.
> > >
> > > To review and follow up on what was shared in the 2015-08-20 i18n
team
> > > meeting [1]:
> > > - We would like to contribute our IBM translations for projects
> > > ceilometer,
> > > glance, heat, nova, ironic, neutron, cinder, keystone, and swift.
Note
> > > that
> > > Horizon is not in this list because the community has been focused
on
> > > translating Horizon; I'm concerned there may be excessive
terminology
> > > conflicts.
> > > - We have translations for de es  fr  it  ja  ko_KR  pt_BR  ru zh_CN
> > > zh_TW
> > > - These contributions are based on our Kilo translations. They have
been
> > > reviewed and tested.
> > > - In order to facilitate an informal review by the translation teams
> > > before
> > > uploading I've made the translations available at
> > > https://github.com/doug-fish/openstack-translations . The repository
is
> > > private. If you'd like access, just share your github id with me via
> > > email
> > > (drfish at us.ibm.com) or IRC (doug-fish) and I'll give you access.
> > > - Segments that have been updated with IBM translations have a
comment
> > > "Contributed by IBM" added. This is to enable reviewing; I don't
expect
> > > these comments to remain in Zanata after the upload.
> > >
> > > At a high level, our process is that we are extracting the existing
PO
> > > files from Zanata, then using Babel based code to compare our IBM
> > > translations with the community ones and filling in any blanks.
We've
> > > taken
> > > care not to overwrite any existing translations.
> > >
> > > These proposed files are based on what we extracted from Zanata
recently
> > > (today). Our intent is to run this tooling again after the review
period
> > > pick up any community translations that have occurred. I'm aware
that
> > > translations for Nova are not updated in Zanata yet, but again, I
expect
> > > handle this by re-running our tools.
> > >
> > > I'm working with Thomas Cocozzello (tjcocozz) and Lucas Palm
(lapalm) who
> > > have coded our tools and scripts to handle this. They are requesting
> > > join the language teams in Zanata so that if there are no concerns
noted
> > > during the review they can upload translation contributions.
> > >
> > > I plan to ask Tom and Lucas to upload these files on 2015-09-14
unless
> > > there are concerns noted during the reviews.
> > >
> > > Please let me know if you have questions or concerns!
> > >
> > > Doug
> > >
> > > 1.
> > > http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack_i18n/2015/
> > openstack_i18n.2015-08-20-13.03.log.html
> > >

> > > Doug Fish
> >
> > After reading the meeting log it appears that using a git repo of some
> > sort to perform easy diffing was the suggested way to go through this
> > process. My only concern with that is these translations are being
> > treated in a special manner to the detriment of other contributors
that
> > have to go through the normal translation process in Zanata (and
> > previously Transifex). At the very least current translators may not
> > realize that there is a bunch of work done because it is currently
> > hidden behind a private Github repo.
> >
> > My suggestion would be to push these translations into Zanata the same
> > way any other translator would. That communicates to other translators
> > where to focus both review and translation efforts. And if we need
> > better diffing abilities that may make for a good feature request to
> > Zanata? (note this is based on my understanding that translations in
> > Zanata have to be approved/accepted and I don't think that we should
> > bypass that process as all other translators have to go through it).
> >
> > If that is not feasible for practical reasons my suggestion would be
> > use Gerrit instead of Github and perform the review in the open. This
> > way we have record of the reviews and anyone can participate using the
> > tools already in use for reviewing git changes by OpenStack. You
should
> > be able to push changes to various projects updating their .po(t)
files
> > in order to get the diffs. If you do it atop the current translation
> > change proposals in Gerrit you should get the correct diffs out of it.
> >
> > I know I would personally be a lot more comfortable with this if
> > Andreas' could weigh in on it. Maybe we can get his feedback before
> > making too many changes? Also, do let me know if the infrastructure
team
> > can do anything to help IBM contribute upstream first so that we can
> > avoid needing to work through special cases like this in the future.
If