[Openstack-i18n] [OpenStack-docs] docs.openstack.org - What to put on translated pages?

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Mar 9 12:45:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 1:01 AM, Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com> wrote:

> Interesting discussion.
>
> I would prefer not to include untranslated links in translated pages.
> Besides Korean page, there are Japanese, Chinese, French pages under
> docs.openstack.org.
> All of them contain only links to translated documents.
> They also have a link to the documentation home page, i.e. English home
> page with all links to English documents.
> We could mark this link as "To get more documents in English, please go *documentation
> home page*."
> Thus readers could know where to get more English documents.

I think this approach is fine.

Steve, I think that because Publican could easily generate the links to all
the docs it made sense but with our toolchain it's likely more maintenance
of links that could be error-prone. So I do acknowledge that an "all the
docs regardless of language landing page" could be helpful, but not easy
for us to maintain since it's just links. If we get to a point where each
language landing page links to user groups and other resources, it would be
even more language-centric and you'd want less English. Just a thought.

Thanks all for the input and thank you Andreas for bringing it to the list
for consideration.

Anne

> Best regards
> Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)