[Openstack-i18n] Translation warnings (Re: [OpenStack-docs] Code block in RST and translation)

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:25:50 UTC 2015

>>> Maybe we could add a gate check that looks for “::” in the end of the
>>> strings (original and translated)? It would enable developers to use
>>> whatever they are used to.
>>

>> Nice idea! Sounds good to me, as a non-vote job.
>>
>> Regards,
>> KATO Tomoyuki
>

> But who will monitor this and correct it?
>
> We already see warnings in translated code that everybody ignores, let's
> find a good way to monitor and fix these problems first before we add
> more tests...

I think this kind tests are categorized into two:
(a) to detect anti-patterns which are not good for translations.
(b) to detect warnings when building translation documents.

I have no good idea on who monitors it.
(b) can be a periodic job and language translators need to check them.

Related to (b) warnings in translation documents, I cleaned up warnings in
Japanese translations last night. At now, Japanese documents have no warnings
except https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1521473.

Most of them can be fixed by
- adding an extra white space after closing RST markups such as `` or **, or
- removing extra white spaces at beginning or end of strings wrapped by
  RST markups.
Even with these warnings, translated documents are rendered properly.

On the other hand, some warnings are actually due to translation
mistakes to be fixed.
This turns out that checking warnings is still important.

Akihiro