[Openstack-i18n] Decreasing size of PO files

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Apr 23 09:44:16 UTC 2015

On 04/23/2015 10:16 AM, Ying Chun Guo wrote:
> Thank you for the information, Andreas.
> I'm glad to see that you keep the original pot files untouched.
> The location information in the pot are quite useful for our translators.
> The location information could be regarded as "context" while
> translators translate.
> Some language teams even allocate their tasks by files.
> They will search in the whole translation resources by "file name".
> Keeping location information in pot is quite necessary.
>
> As to po files, I guess, the location information is helpful when
> generating the translated documents.
> Have you ever tested building translated documents without locations ?

Yes, I did - the "Test Import" change build these manuals without
problems: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/176322/

> I think, the goal of reducing the size of PO files is to decrease the
> size of the whole manuals project, isn't it ?

My main goal is to reduce the frequency and size of *changes*.

It's changes like this one:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/174213/1/doc/glossary/locale/zh_CN.po
where nearly all location information changed and one or two strings get
inserted that I'd like to avoid.

It should be a tiny change (5 lines or so) change but it's a 2000 line
change.

> Do you know how much percentage is the po files in the whole manuals
> project now ? Is it a big number ?

The changes are large, just see https://review.openstack.org/#/c/174213/
- it's 27000 lines changed.

And that amount of changes needs to be downloaded and stored,

But decreasing overall size is also nice. Just looking at the Install
Guide, we currently have 10005 lines as source.

Locales before my change:
    5262 locale/install-guide.pot
    8317 locale/ja.po
    8330 locale/ko_KR.po
    8325 locale/pt_BR.po
    8322 locale/ru.po
    8334 locale/zh_CN.po
   46890 total

Locales after my change:
    5282 locale/install-guide.pot
    6489 locale/ja.po
    4155 locale/ko_KR.po
    6908 locale/pt_BR.po
    5251 locale/ru.po
    6669 locale/zh_CN.po
   34754 total

If we notice that this does not work as expected, we can always revert -
we will not loose anything with this since we keep location information
in POT file and transifex and only remove them when importing in our
projects.

A followup patch for all the other projects will be done once I've seen
this in action for a few days. Dolph suggested this when we talked about
keystone imports. Since I monitor manuals myself, I wanted to have it
tested there first,

Andreas
    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)