[Openstack-i18n] I18n meeting tomorrow

Douglas Fish drfish at us.ibm.com
Fri May 2 14:31:59 UTC 2014

We are agreeing on many points here.  Let me expand on one idea that I
think I'm not making clear.

I am a native English speaker.  As an English speaking software engineer,
when I've created labels, messages, etc I usually think they are pretty
good.  However, I work at a big company, so we have people who are
technical writers.  They are experts in how these kinds of strings should
be written for the highest quality professional English.  Based on their
feedback, it turns out I'm not quite as good at how English labels,
messages, etc should be written for the highest quality professionalism.  I
understand the language, of course, but sometimes I'm influenced by my
engineering background to take shortcuts or represent things the wrong way.
It's rare for somebody to be both an expert software engineer and an expert
English speaker.

The kind of feedback you are asking for in your code review is going to
require that sort of dual-expertise in order to accurately assess if your
code solution will allow high quality, professional translations for all
languages.  Maybe OpenStack has attracted people with that sort of
background, but if so we are really quite lucky.  It's a difficult question
for people so sort out.

I still hold that we need to get rid of most of this concatination in order
for Horizon to be most effectively translated.  I understand that may
result in more translatable strings, but I'm hopeful that will be
outweighed by the fact the context and usage of those strings will be
clear, and people without coding expertise will be able to easily
understand and contribute to the translation of Horizon.

My only word of caution is that I am only beginning to understand what
removing concatination means for the Horizon/Dashboard code base.  I think
there is only a limited amount of code that actually does concatinations,
but it's used to generate a great deal of the UI.  I really should quit
spending time on the mailing list, and start digging around in the code on
this one!  :-)

Doug Fish