[Openstack-i18n] [RFC] another message id generation proposal

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Tue Feb 11 08:41:42 UTC 2014

Peng Wu <peng.e.wu at gmail.com> wrote on 2014/02/11 14:03:21:

> Peng Wu <peng.e.wu at gmail.com>
> 2014/02/11 14:03

> openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org,
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> [Openstack-i18n] [RFC] another message id generation proposal
>
> Hi,
>   Recently I read about the idea of REST API message and log message
> i18n proposals.
>
>   I think maybe we could generate the message id by file name, method
> name and line no, like "test2.py#Main#15".
>   I think this new message id is shorter and more readable than md5sum.

How to handle if the line no is changed?
I think one advantage to use message id is that the message id is easy to
track,
in different languages and in different versions (maybe).
So I would prefer to keep consistency among different versions.

Also, if the number has a project name as the prefix, it is useful too.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/log-messages-translation-domain

> PS: I just noticed that some developers are considering to log both
> English and translated log messages, dunno whether they plan to return
> both English and translated REST API messages.

As I know, Oslo provides a way to configure the locale language used in
log files, and both (English and locale language).
I don't hear that they are going to return REST API messages in both
languages.

Regards
Daisy