[Openstack-i18n] [RFC] another message id generation proposal

Peng Wu peng.e.wu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 06:03:21 UTC 2014

Hi,
  Recently I read about the idea of REST API message and log message
i18n proposals.

  I think maybe we could generate the message id by file name, method
name and line no, like "test2.py#Main#15".
  I think this new message id is shorter and more readable than md5sum.

  And with this kind of information, the developer can locate the
message as follows:
     1. find all files with the same file name;
     2. jump to the line no;
     3. verify the function name and the gettext call;
  Then the developer can find the corresponding message.

  In the attachment, it is a small python program to print the
information.

  Feel free to comment this new proposal.

Thanks,
  Peng Wu

Refer URL:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/log-messages-id
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/log-messages-translation-domain

PS: I just noticed that some developers are considering to log both
English and translated log messages, dunno whether they plan to return
both English and translated REST API messages.