[Openstack-i18n] [horizon] contextual-markers for better translations

Yves-Gwenaël Bourhis yves-gwenael.bourhis at cloudwatt.com
Mon Apr 14 15:13:27 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I noticed that translating to certain languages requires some compromises in both grammar and syntax to often have a deceiving result...
This is due to the fact that we do not use contextual-markers:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/i18n/translation/#contextual-markers

except in one unique place:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1307476

The context is required because a word which is spelled the same in English may be 2 different words in an other language.
Even less trivial, a same word with the same meaning can be spelled differently depending on the way it is used in a sentence, and there the context is really important.

Some work was already done with https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1253678

But contextual-markers need to be added to many translatable strings.
The issue about changing translatable strings to contextual translatable strings implies redoing all those translations.
Do not PANIC :-) , the current translations will remain as is for Icehouse, the impact of using contextual-markers will be for Juno.

My concern is that many other languages than my 2 native ones have a richer syntax, so I may not be aware of all possible contexts required for other languages to be properly translatable.
Concerning the example I gave in https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1307476 any comment on the "context" you would need to help you make a better translation will be welcomed, and I'll need your feedback on what context "you" need and in which place in the dashboard, in order to help you make the best translations.

So feel free to drop a reply to this mail with all the places where your struggle to provide a translation due to lack of context and where a context and reformulation would really help you do your translations.

Thank you all.

--

Yves-Gwenaël Bourhis