[openstack-hpc] Looking for practical Openstack + Ceph guidance for shared HPC

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 15:24:16 UTC 2013

I think that workload management is perhaps too vague of a term here. There
are a few different processes in play.

One is the system level resource management (nova-scheduler, etc). This
component needs to figure out how to allocate the resources to tenants, and
pull them back with needed.

Inside of a single tenant's allocation, there is a need for workload
management. This is a good place for traditional HPC resource managers;
we've run torque in this capacity, for example.

I think that the model today for nova scheduler is wrong; it only supports
open-ended leases on compute resources. Another component that makes this
tricky is the need to support interactive workloads; batch is good for
well, batch, but interactive is always problematic in these environments.

There is some research targeting this problem, in particular Mesos and
Omega. Mesos looks ok for serial workloads, but has a real problem with
parallel (non-resizable) ones. Omega looks a lot better, but that is an
internal google thing. I don't think that there is an off the shelf
solution today.
-nld