[OpenStack-docs] EWG Workload Reference Architecture

Sun, Yih Leong yih.leong.sun at intel.com
Fri Jan 27 20:05:42 UTC 2017

Hi documentation team,

This is Leong from Intel and lead few efforts from OpenStack Enterprise WG (EWG).
(apologize for the long email below as I tried to elaborate the history and the intention here).

I would like to propose to include EWG Workload Reference Architecture as one of the published content at https://docs.openstack.org.

EWG is developing a series of 'user/tenant-level' workload reference architectures (e.g. eCommerce, video processing) to help users to learn and understand how to deploy different types of applications/workloads unto an OpenStack Cloud. These reference architectures describe the list of OpenStack services that can be used to support the workload and provides sample code (e.g. Heat, Murano, etc) to bootstrap the workload environment on an OpenStack Cloud.

In the previous cycle, we worked with Foundation and produced two Workload Reference Architecture (Web Applications [1] and Big Data [2]) and published to OpenStack Sample Config [3]. We used to develop these content on Google Doc with biweekly voice-call meeting. Once the content is ready, we pass over to Foundation's technical writer for final editing and graphic design.

The target audience of these workload reference architecture is primarily operator users or app developer who deploy applications on cloud.
It is similar like a "sample manual / tutorial / user guides"

We are looking to improve the overall process:

(1) to engage more content contributor/reviewer across different timezone

(2) to streamline the review and publishing process so that final content (either new workload or revision to existing one) can be made available as soon as possible.

(3) to standardize content publication through Docs guideline with a common landing page at docs.openstack.org for App Deployer/Developer to consume.

We have started the process to move the "content development" to git/gerrit.
We have setup a EWG repo [4,5] and included under UC governance [6].
We are wondering how we can collaborate with Docs team and publish the content onto https://docs.openstack.org?
Any suggestion would mostly welcome!

Thanks!

[1] https://www.openstack.org/assets/software/mitaka/OpenStack-WorkloadRefArchWebApps-v7.pdf
[2] https://www.openstack.org/assets/software/mitaka/OpenStack-WorkloadRefBigData-v4.pdf
[3] https://www.openstack.org/software/sample-configs/
[4] https://github.com/openstack/workload-ref-archs
[5] https://github.com/openstack/workload-ref-archs/tree/master/workload-ref-archs/web-applications
[6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/423413/

---
Yih Leong Sun, PhD
Senior Software Cloud Architect | Open Source Technology Center | Intel Corporation
yih.leong.sun at intel.com<mailto:yih.leong.sun at intel.com> | +1 503 264 0610