[OpenStack-docs] openstack-doc-tools on Launchpad

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Feb 15 01:21:22 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> reporters to file bugs in openstack-manuals [2]. The openstackdocstheme
>>> project in Launchpad does the same thing [3].
>>>
>>> For the openstackdocstheme project, bug reporting has been disabled.
>>> This ensures that reporters will file theme bugs in openstack-manuals.
>>>
>>> For the openstack-doc-tools project, bug reporting is still enabled.
>>> This means that some tools bugs are reported in openstack-manuals, and some
>>> in openstack-doc-tools.
>>>
>>> I propose that we migrate the existing bugs in openstack-doc-tools to
>>> openstack-manuals, then disable bug reporting in openstack-doc-tools.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if you think this is a good/bad idea.
>>>

>> A year ago last month I established the Launchpad bug tracker. [4] The
>> skill set and people could then grow in a focused direction. Plus it allows
>> for less split attention, and the bug numbers in openstack-manuals can
>> accurately reflect docs and content quality, not tool quality.
>>
>> What is the reasoning for consolidating? I'd like to hear more about your
>> reasons and why bug reporting was disabled for the theme, for example. We
>> could use separate tracking for the logo and web theme changes, for
>> example, so I see the separate tracker as a good way to separate concerns
>> and prioritize without distracting content work.
>>

> I actually don't know when or why bugs were disabled for the theme. Maybe
> someone in the know can chime in?
>
> The doc-tools project says "File bugs at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ope
> nstack-manuals" in the description. Consequently there are tools bugs in
> openstack-manuals. Not everyone reads that message though, so there are
> also tools bugs in doc-tools. My proposal was based on analogy with
> openstackdocstheme, which tells reporters to file bugs in openstack-manuals
> and has disabled bug reporting. In addition, the Contributor Guide
> currently indicates that doc bugs for openstackdocstheme,
> openstack-doc-tools, openstack-manuals, and security-doc should be filed in
> openstack-manuals (http://docs.openstack.org/con
> tributor-guide/doc-bugs.html), and that tools bugs should be filed in
> openstack-manuals (http://docs.openstack.org/contributor-guide/doc-tools/
> contributing.html#file-a-bug-against-the-tools).
>
> But I'm quite happy to go the other direction if people would prefer. We
> could add a note to the openstack-manuals description instructing people to
> file tools and theme bugs in their respective projects, and then migrate
> all those bugs out of openstack-manuals. We'd also need to update the
> contributor guide appropriately.
>
> The end goal is making it clear for reporters where they should file bugs,
> and making it clear for contributors where to look for bugs. On the one
> hand, it makes sense to keep tools, theme, and content bugs in separate
> projects to minimize noise. On the other hand, there are benefits to
> consolidating all the bugs in one place as it gives the theme and tools

My thinking was that our goal right now is to reduce the bug count in
openstack-manuals, and sorting more precisely helps with that goal, which
in reality isn't about the count but about the doc quality.

So I'm inclined to update:
- bug reporting in the theme docs
- wording in the openstack-doc-tools project
- contributor guide instructions

That'll keep us going along the top priority, accurate bug counts. Here's a
patch for the openstack-doc-tools README.rst:
https://review.openstack.org/434006.

Feel free to review there or write back here on the list. Would also like
to hear from Andreas -- he was the one who set up the bug tracking in
mid-2015, not me, heh.

Anne