[OpenStack-docs] Better way to display shell commands

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Tue Jul 5 22:53:56 UTC 2016

On 06/07/16 08:16, Caballero Abraham, Rodrigo wrote:
> Hi,
> I would give it +1 but I see two issues.
> 1. code-block:: bash must be changed globally to prompt:: and that is a major undertaking affecting basically all projects. Otherwise, we would be building an inconsistency on purpose.

We could also do this as we come across things, rather than trying to do a bulk move. The old way won't break, just because we have a new way. This is fairly standard practice for us with style changes.

I'm more worried about how many places we would need to change to get the extension actually working in the first place.

> 2. There are two types of commands, sudo/admin and user. Prompt can handle this but it does mean that we need to be extra careful when replacing the code-block directives.

True, it's a bit of a gotcha, but code blocks shouldn't be using both anyway.

> A script could handle the replacements automatically but we would need to debug after the replacement.

That's what the review system is for :)

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia