[OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] Mimicking the install-guide for project specific install guides

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Mon Jul 4 05:33:46 UTC 2016

On 04/07/16 15:23, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 07/04/2016 03:44 AM, Lana Brindley wrote:
>> Sorry for being late to the party. Right now, I think I don't fully understand all the issues, which is why I've been holding off. However, I think rolling with option 3 (let projects choose for now and revisit) seems sensible for the moment. I don't think it's wise to mandate (or ban) use of only at this early stage until we have a clearer picture of how it's being used (or abused).
>
> It's not use or abuse - it's far more complicated to use (both on
> tooling and reviewing) as well more difficult to generate a proper index.
>
> We've had quite some fun getting only right in our guides and still
> every now and then a change comes in that is supposed for one distro but
> breaks others. We now have some reviewers that know what to look for and
> how to review this - but this is a complexity that needs teaching to
> core reviewers in those project teams.
>
> Also, building with only means you have to build for each distro -
> that's a more difficult way of setting it up (needs extra scripts) as
> well you need to be careful with publishing so that we can use the same
> jobs for all projects.

Thanks for the explanation, that's making more sense now. I still think that letting projects do what they want for now and reviewing later seems sensible, I think we need to gauge what's more broadly useful. I can see how banning only can make things easier for us, but I also think there's projects that might need it.

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia
http://lanabrindley.com