[OpenStack-docs] SUSE/openSUSE docs - Some current errors/omissions and changes to come?

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Sep 28 18:50:14 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Tony Su <tonysu at su-networking.com> wrote:

> OK,
> Although I'm only partially towards setting up a working OpenStack,
> I've done enough to understand at the "zypper dup" step what is being
> done and I would like to propose a change. I can confidently say that
> AFAIK "zypper up" is definitely the correct command and in my case
> where I'm experimenting with the OpenStack 13.2 repo on a LEAP 42.1
> install, a "zypper dup" would cause problems changing the system
> entirely to 13.2 (as zypper dup is designed to do).
>
> Problem is...
> I don't see any instructions to create an account on the OpenStack
> Docs repo page..
> I don't see any instructions how to submit a change. I've seen at
> least a couple ways Projects request contributions.
> 1. Create a separate branch with the proposed changes and then submit
> a merge request
> 2. Clone a new version of the repository, make changes to the clone,
> then submit a merge request.

Hi Tony,

OpenStack docs repos patches work the same as all the OpenStack repos. You
can follow the instructions from the wiki page
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#Set_up_for_contribution
.

The source for the Install Guide specifically has changed a lot from the
one 1.5 years ago, but the current source is here:

https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/tree/master/doc/install-guide/source

Hope this helps, and feel free to keep asking questions as you go as your
impulse to "pay it forward" is one we like to encourage.
Anne

> Without being able to create an account and knowing where/how to post
> the proposed changes I'm SOL...
>
> Tony
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Christian Berendt
> <christian at berendt.io> wrote:
> > On 09/21/2015 06:47 PM, Tony Su wrote:
> >>
> >> It looks like these docs were created about 1.5 yrs ago because
> >> openSUSE 13.1 is referenced.
> >

> > Not sure which documentation you are reading.
> > http://docs.openstack.org/kilo/install-guide/install/zypper/content/ was
> > updated with the Kilo release, using openSUSE 13.2 and SLES 12 with
> systemd.
> >

> > Christian.
> >
> > --
> > Christian Berendt
> > Cloud Solution Architect
> > Mail: berendt at b1-systems.de
> >
> > B1 Systems GmbH
> > Osterfeldstraße 7 / 85088 Vohburg / http://www.b1-systems.de
> > GF: Ralph Dehner / Unternehmenssitz: Vohburg / AG: Ingolstadt,HRB 3537

Anne Gentle
Rackspace
Principal Engineer
www.justwriteclick.com