[OpenStack-docs] SUSE/openSUSE docs - Some current errors/omissions and changes to come?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Sep 21 18:48:49 UTC 2015

Hi Tony,

On 09/21/2015 06:47 PM, Tony Su wrote:
> As I'm reading the SUSE/openSUSE docs deeply in preparation for a
> build from scratch, I'm noticing some things...
>
> - I understand why all system commands are SystemV so is targeted
> primarily at SLES SP3.. I can personally guess and substitute systemd
> commands but docs should be updated.

They have been updated already for Liberty. The Liberty docs will only
cover openSUSE 13.2 and SLES 12 and therefore be completely systemd ready.

> - I see a recommendation to do a "zypper distro-upgrade" after
> installing OpenStack packages. I'm sure this is incorrect and instead
> be a normal update with "zypper up". The terminology is typically
> different in other distros which could have been how this error
> happened.

Could you file a bug for this, please?

> It looks like these docs were created about 1.5 yrs ago because
> openSUSE 13.1 is referenced. Today, we are days away from launching
> openSUSE LEAP 14.1 which is the first melding SUSE core components

42.1 not 14.1

> with openSUSE "non-core" packages. This may be one of those rare
> instances where a whole new evaluation of what is SUSE and what is
> openSUSE may become necessary when describing commands and procedures
> to modify the system.
>
> Is there an active way to contribute modifications?
> When I actually start building my demo system, it might be nice to
> create the contributions as I encounter their situations.
>
> So, for instance if the text has been mirrored in a GitHub account,
> that could work.

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-manuals/, directory
doc/install-guide is the current text and heavily modified from what is
available for Kilo. The guide is published as draft at
docs.openstack.org/draft/draft-index.html and contribution follows the
usual OpenStack contribution process, see
wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation.

Bug reports and patches are welcome!

        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)